Us News

Todd Blanche expected to be honored with Trump’s $1.8B fund dismissed as ‘corruption on steroids’.

Todd Blanche, the deputy attorney general in the administration of Donald Trump, will appear on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, and is expected to face an intense investigation into the plans of the Department of Justice to create a fund of 1.776 billion dollars to pay the associates of the Republican president who are believed to be politically targeted.

Blanche’s testimony before the Senate Appropriations subcommittee was intended to address the department’s annual budget request but followed Monday’s announcement about the creation of the “Anti-Disarmament Fund.” Critics described it as an illegal abuse of power designed to line the pockets of Trump allies and taxpayer dollars.

Blanche said on Monday that the fund will be for people who believe they were targeted for persecution for political purposes.

“Government agents should never have weapons on any American, and it is the Department’s goal to correct the mistakes made in the past and make sure this never happens again,” Blanche said in a statement.

In defending the agreement, the Justice Department pointed to a fund established by the Barack Obama administration to compensate Native American farmers who said they had experienced racial discrimination. But that fund was not established for the purpose of benefiting the associates of the president who were previously investigated for possible crimes.

“This is one of the most corrupt acts in American history,” said Donald Sherman, president of government watchdog Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), in a statement after the fund was announced.

In the weeks since she took control of the Justice Department after the departure of Pam Bondi, Blanche has again stood up forcefully to advance the president’s priorities – pushing charges against public figures who have raised Trump’s ire, including former FBI director James Comey.

‘I didn’t make this deal’: Trump

The fund will be able to review claims of political allegations against the government, issue formal apologies and provide financial compensation to approved claimants, the Department of Justice said. A five-member commission appointed by Blanche will oversee this fund, with one member selected in consultation with the congressional leadership.

According to the Department of Justice, the president can remove any member of the commission.

The Department of Justice did not identify anyone by name who could benefit from this fund, but there were many investigations of Trump associates during the previous administration of Joe Biden, including about 1,500 1,500 people who were charged in connection with the violence of January 6, 2021, in the US Capitol. Trump in his second term pardoned them, commuted their prison terms or ordered that their charges be dropped.

President Donald Trump is shown at the White House on May 18, 2026, where he revealed that he did not participate in the creation of a fund to compensate those who believe they were targeted for prosecution by the federal government. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/The Associated Press)

More than 250 people have been convicted of assaulting law enforcement officers, and many of the assaults were recorded with an eyewitness or body camera.

Asked Monday if people who committed violence on January 6, 2021, should receive compensation from the fund, Trump said, “It will all depend on the committee.”

“I didn’t do this thing. I was told about it yesterday,” he added.

Other prominent Trump supporters investigated and indicted include Steve Bannon, who served time for violating an order of Congress, and Peter Navarro, who was also convicted of contempt.

A group of nearly 100 members of the House of Congress filed a brief challenging the lawsuit, while Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts called the fund “corruption on steroids.”

LISTEN | Tommy Vietor on Trump family deals during his presidency (Dec. 2025):

Front burner26:06Trump and corruption with Pod Save America

The tax records leak case ends

The fund announced Monday came after Trump and his two oldest sons sued the IRS and the Treasury Department. The lawsuit alleged that the leak of confidential tax records damaged their reputation and finances and affected their public standing, among other allegations.

Former IRS contractor Charles Littlejohn, who worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, a defense and national security firm, was sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to leaking tax information about Trump and others to two news outlets between 2018 and 2020.

Kathleen Williams, the judge presiding over Trump’s case, dismissed the case on Monday. In his filing, he admonished the Justice Department for failing to be transparent about the settlement agreement.

Williams previously tasked a legal team to determine whether there was a conflict of interest in the case since, as president-elect, Trump was suing “decision-making bodies under his direction.”

Trump’s second administration previously approved payments to the family of Ashley Babbitt, who was shot and killed while breaking into the Capitol building on January 6. 2021, and Mark Houck, a pro-life activist who was acquitted in a case filed during the Biden administration. Michael Flynn and Carter Page, Trump associates who were prosecuted as part of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, were also compensated by the administration.

Trump insisted that the Department of Justice during the administration of Biden was equipped by him and his allies. He faced criminal charges for both his efforts to prevent a peaceful transfer of power to Biden after his loss in the 2020 election, and for handling classified documents leaving the White House. Those charges against Trump were dropped after American voters re-elected him as president in November 2024.

Merrick Garland, who served as attorney general during the Biden administration, has denied allegations of political involvement. The special counsel who reported to Garland filed tax and gun charges against Hunter Biden, the president’s son, and congressional Democrats Bob Menendez and Henry Cueller.

The department during Trump’s second term, on the other hand, refused to prosecute the Republican House Rep. Cory Mills after allegations of domestic violence, or Tom Homan, the border kingpin who accepted $50,000 from undercover agents months before he was elected to a second term with the Trump administration.

Blanche, for her part, said there is “no basis” for a human rights investigation into the shooting of Minnesota activist Renee Good by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent in January.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button